Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

4th of July: American Flag

 American Flag.....Old Glory!
American Flag Learning Activities:
  • Do-A-Dot American Flag
  • American Flag Dice Game
  • 3-Part Reading Cards
  • Flag Scavenger Hunt
  • 4th of July Action Cards
  • Read and Act out Yankee Doodle
  • 'U is for Uncle Sam' Practice Writing worksheet
  • Alphabet Stars
  • Flag Sizing
  • Paint an American Flag (discuss the 50 stars and 13 red strips found on a flag)
  • 'If I were a flag I would be (what color) and have (what shape).' 

 American Flag Dice Game:
Amelia blew me away with this....I got out one of these awesome dice for the first time with her (there is a dice within a dice). My plan was just to take turn rolling and she would be the big dice and I would be the small dice and we would place stars on the flag together. After a couple rolls I decided to ask Mia to count our stars...she said, 'Why Mommy, there are 7 stars there. I don't need to count.' Holy Molly....WHAT? We have been working on 1-to-1 corresponding counting but I had no clue she could just look and tell me the number without even counting!
After that we started to set up the game as an addition problem. Her stars on top and my stars on the bottom. I always seem to underestimate what she can do....I think it's awesome that we are able to use and do a lot of my Kindergarten activities!  



3-Part Reading Cards. We are really starting to focus on reading!
 Do-a-Dot American Flag:
 Flag Sizing:
 ABC Maze:

Yankee Doodle Acting...she is putting a feather in her cap (while riding her pony). Oh and she ate some Macaroni for dinner =)

 Action Cards: Pretending to be a firework =) These cards are our favorite!!!

ABC Stars: I call out a letter and she finds it!

Painting our American Flag.....50 Stars and all!

'If I were a flag I would be pink and purple with stars.' Mia drew circles instead of stars because she said she wasn't good at drawing stars =)

Neighborhood Flag Scavenger Hunt: We spotted 10 flags!

No comments:

Post a Comment